Suspension of Police Registration Services (OVRO) London – March 2020
Due to the current Coronavirus outbreak, Police Registration Services have been suspended until further notice. UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) are aware of this suspension, as it has been deemed to be in line with government guidelines and classified as 'non-essential travel'
Please read the latest guidance about Police Registration below:
- The Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) have confirmed that there will be no penalty action for failing to attend a pre-booked online appointment, or if you are unable to book an appointment due to disruptions caused by the Coronavirus outbreak.
- If you return to your home country prior to registering with the OVRO, you should not face any difficulties at UK ports upon re-entry for non-registration due to the suspension of our services.
- If you have booked an appointment to register for Police Registration please DO NOT attend your appointment. You will receive an email to confirm that you no longer need to attend your appointment. Please also check your e-mails and SPAM/JUNK mail folders for regular updates.
- You will not be regarded as being late to register due to this suspension of our service. Please do not attempt to re-book or amend your appointment.
For the latest information, please visit the Overseas Visitors Records Office web pages
Generally, you need to register within 7 days of arriving in the UK. For new international students, if you live in the Greater London area, you should register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO). To satisfy the 7 day legal requirement to register with the police, an appointment must be booked within 7 days of arrival in the UK or within 7 days of a change in circumstance. This will ensure the requirement to register with the police has been satisfied, even if the first available appointment offered is beyond 7 days.
You will need to provide evidence that you are required to register with the police. This could either be:
- Your entry visa vignette in your passport (if you applied outside the UK) OR
- Your Home Office decision email (if you applied within the UK)
You also need to bring the following documents:
- Registration form (completed on a computer then printed out and signed manually)
- One UK passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm), glued to the registration form
- Your passport containing your visa vignette
- Your Biometric Residence Permit
- £34 registration fee, payable by card or sterling cash
- Confirmation of your appointment, which you can show either on a phone or a printout
You will need to update your certificate each time you change your address or obtain a new visa or passport. If you do not do this, then you are likely to face problems when you try to extend your student visa.
Important to know: if you do not register when you are supposed to, fail to complete the registration process, or fail to keep your certificate up to date, you might be fined £5,000 or face a jail sentence.
If you think you have been given the requirement to register with the police in error, please contact us.