The reason for this is your nominated examiners need to go through a process of approval via the Subject Area Board (SAB) and the Research Degrees Examination Board (RDEB) Chair and this can take time.
If one, or in rare cases, both of your examiners do not meet the King’s requirements, then either one of these parties might suggest an Independent Chair or a new examiner nomination. In either of these cases your supervisor will need to re-think and re-submit the RD1 Form, in the case of a new examiner, or nominate an Independent Chair who will need approval and to accept the role.
Who must sign my RD1 Form?
- Dental Institute,
- King’s Business School
- Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine
- Dickson Poon School of Law,
- Faculty of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
- Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery and Palliative Care
The list of counter-signatories is available on our webpages. This is the responsibility of the supervisor or faculty staff to obtain – please be advised that we are unable to contact the counter-signatory on your behalf.
We know occasionally that problems can arise between you and your supervisor – the RD1 can be a useful opportunity to discuss expectations of the oral defence of your thesis.
- The Research Degree Office are unable to manage or deal with intra-faculty or supervisor problems.
- The Research Degree Office is unable to accept an RD1 Form without a supervisor's signature.
- We cannot process an RD1 Form without the requisite counter-signatory.
Submitting your RD1 form
How can I get a copy of the RD1 form?
What happens after I've submitted my RD1 form?