In the UK there’s no legal requirement for you to carry your passport, BRP or any other identification documentation at all times. We strongly recommend that you do not carry your passport or BRP with you unless you’re travelling outside the UK or you specifically need these documents. Instead, please leave them safe at home and perhaps consider carrying photocopies.

If you need photo identification to prove your age when shopping or going out, there are other types of identification you can apply for, such as:

These are a lot less costly to replace if they go missing!

For more information on required identification for travelling within the UK, outside the UK and alternative forms of ID, please look at the online Safety Guide for International Students. If you have further questions about this topic, you can get in touch with the Advice & Guidance team.