King's staff have access to three Mental Health Awareness courses; certain departments might also offer their own bespoke training (e.g. wardens who work in Residences). Each awareness course is designed to give staff a greater understanding of mental health, challenging stigma and a basic knowledge of some common mental health issues.
Upon successful completion of the half-day, one day or two day course, staff will either become a Higher Education Mental Health First Aid Champion or a fully trained Mental Health First Aider.
A trained Mental Health First Aider can support students by:
- Providing help on a first aid basis
- Helping to prevent someone from hurting themselves or others
- Guiding towards the right support
- Helping stop mental health difficulties from getting worse
- Helping someone recover faster from mental health difficulties
A Higher Education Mental Health First Aid Champion can support students by:
- Signposting to the right support through self-help resources, university counselling or the NHS
- Helping to identify early signs of poor mental health
You can find out more about how we support students' mental health at Counselling & Mental Health Support