During the pandemic the UK government are advising against all, but essential travel to some countries, cities and regions.

Essential information
If you are on a Tier 4 Visa please look at the latest advice on travelling to your destination, where you can keep up-to-date with the latest information on border restrictions and sign-up to receive email alerts.
We also advise visiting Your questions answered – students for further information and guidance about travelling during the pandemic.

General information about travelling abroad during term-time

If you are studying at King’s on a Tier 4 visa and you wish to travel abroad during your official term-time for your course, you will need to seek permission first. Student Services can provide documentation to support your application for a visa, whether this is to a Schengen zone country, or elsewhere.

What do I need to do?
Firstly, please log a request for a Travel Letter. Please include your intended dates of travel and the country you intend to travel to.
If these dates fall within your official term-time (this includes Reading Week), Student Services will contact your academic department on your behalf, and ask them to confirm you have permission to travel during this time.

Once permission is received, Student Services will produce 2 documents –

  1. A Travel Letter addressed to the embassy of the country you are applying to for your visa, with a statement confirming your permission to travel during your requested dates.
  2. A Permission Letter: this is general, addressed ‘To Whom It May Concern’, and is a Confirmation of Study letter with an added statement confirming your permission to travel during your requested dates. We advise that you carry this letter with you in your hand luggage on your return journey to the UK, in case you need to prove your enrolment and your permission to travel at the UK border.
Important to know:
  • We recommend that you wait to book your visa application appointment and any tickets for travel until after you have received permission to travel and received your documents from Student Services. This is because there is no guarantee your department will approve your travel if you choose to travel during term-time.
  • Allow plenty of time for your request to be processed, especially during very busy periods of the academic year, such as September, October, June and July.
  • If you would like more information about applying for a travel visa during your studies, visit the Travelling abroad during your studies webpage.