During the pandemic the UK government are advising against all, but essential travel to some countries, cities and regions.

Essential information
If you are on a Tier 4 Visa please look at the latest advice on travelling to your destination, where you can keep up-to-date with the latest information on border restrictions and sign-up to receive email alerts.
We also advise visiting Your questions answered – students for further information and guidance about travelling during the pandemic.

General information about travelling at the weekend

If you are studying at King’s on a Tier 4 visa and you wish to travel abroad, you are free to do so at any time of the year if your travel is at weekends only, which means travelling between Friday evening and Sunday evening.

Many countries will require that you apply for a visa, and to support this application Student Services provides a Travel Letter.

What do I need to do?

  1. Log a request for a Travel Letter. Please include your intended dates of travel and the country you intend to travel to. As long as your requested dates are at a weekend (or during official holiday time; please see I'm an international student and want to travel abroad during my university holidays) Student Services can produce this letter fairly simply and quickly. In the letter, a statement about your intention to travel at the weekend will be included.
  2. We recommend you access your Confirmation of Study letter as close as possible to your dates of travel, and carry this with you in your hand luggage on your return journey to the UK, in case you need to prove your student status at the UK border. This letter is instantly downloadable as a PDF document from Student Records.

Important to know:

  • We recommend that you wait to book your visa application appointment and any tickets for travel until after you have received your Travel Letter from Student Services.
  • Allow plenty of time for your request to be processed, especially during very busy periods of the academic year, such as September, October, June and July.
  • If you would like more information about applying for a travel visa during your studies, visit the Travelling abroad during your studies webpage.