Essential information
If you are on a Student visa, please look at the latest advice on travelling to your destination, where you can keep up-to-date with the latest information on border restrictions and sign-up to receive email alerts.

Important to know:  The UK Home Office has introduced a new immigration system which came into effect from 5 October 2020. The new “Student Visa” route has replaced the “Tier 4 (General)” visa route. Please read our article New Student Visa Immigration Route for more information.

General information about travelling during your studies as a PGR student

If you are studying at King’s on a Student visa as a postgraduate research (PGR) student and you wish to travel abroad anytime during your studies, you will need to seek permission first. You are considered to be on term-time throughout your period of study and any time off away from your studies must be approved by your supervisor.

If you are on a Student visa and you want to travel abroad during term-time, you will need to have approval from your academic department. Student Services can provide documentation to support your application for a visa, whether this is to a Schengen zone country, or elsewhere.

If your supervisor approves your travel, you will need to request a Travel Letter; please follow the guidance provided in I need a Travel letter.