The Counselling & Mental Health Support Service runs a number of groups for students. These take place throughout the academic year and cover a variety of themes and topics. There are long-term therapy groups as well as short-term focused groups and workshops.
Important to know:
- The service has moved online to offer remote support, and so unfortunately we won't be running support on campus for the time being. For more information about this please see our article How do I register for counselling?
- To register with Counselling & Mental Health Service (C&MHS) please complete the online self-referral form.
- If you need to get in touch with the C&MHSS during this period, you can email us directly.
- For information on the changes across student support services please see Accessing Student Support & Wellbeing remotely
General information about groups & workshops
These therapy groups are led by experienced Group Analysts:
- Younger Student Groups (18-25)
- Older Student Groups (25+)
- Postgraduate Group
- Bereavement Group
- Exploring Relationships/Sexuality
Short-Term Groups - run termly
Group information for 2020/21:
- Post Graduate Anxiety
Workshops - run termly
The workshops are short-term and structured. They are psycho-educational and some are led from a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) perspective. The workshops are open to between 6 and 20 participants at a time. Workshops range from a single session to a workshop series; attending all sessions in a series is advisable because they relate to each other.
Workshops can be interactive, so please be prepared to participate (asking questions, doing the exercises, making sense of how the information might apply to you), but they are not therapeutic groups, so you will not be expected to share anything too personal with others in the workshops.
Workshops for 2020/21:
- Exam Anxiety
- Food, Mood and Body Image
- LGBT - Gender and sexual diversity
- Managing emotions
- Men & Mental Health
- Stress Management
For more detail and to sign up, please visit Groups and Workshops