In this article:

If I interrupt before the end of the academic year, will I still pay the full years’ tuition fees?
The amount charged is usually determined by the last day you were ‘actively engaged’ on the course (see exceptions below). You should speak to your personal tutor before completing the Change of Registration Form on your student record in order to agree your interruption date and an appropriate date to return to the course. The longer you have attended the course the more fees you will be charged for the year.

Are there any exceptions to this fee rule?
Yes, there are some courses where the charging arrangements differ. This is likely to be the case for King’s Online courses, International Foundation courses and other short courses offered at King’s.
Please speak to your department directly or Registry Services for more specific information about these programmes.

What if I have paid too much? Can I expect a refund?
Once your interruption is finalised, your tuition fee will be recalculated by Registry Services. Credit Control will issue a new invoice and if there is a credit on your account you can request a refund via Student Records. You can also leave the funds on your account until you return.

Important to know: If you have paid a non-refundable deposit, this could cancel out a refund, depending on the figures. Please refer to Student Fee Payments for full details.

I used a Postgraduate Loan to pay my tuition fees, will this money still be refunded back to me?
Postgraduate Loans are paid directly to students and are intended as a contribution towards postgraduate study. You can choose how you spend that loan and therefore, if you used it towards your fees, then yes, any overpaid amount will be refunded back to you.

If I interrupt, do I have to repay the Postgraduate Loan back to my funding body?
If you have accessed a Postgraduate Loan and interrupt mid-course, King’s has a duty to inform your funding body of this change. This is because instalments paid are linked to attendance so, in some cases you may find an overpayment is identified once your last day of attendance is confirmed to them. Your funding body will write to you about this and explain your options for settling this bill.

I thought my Loans were only repayable once I started working and earning over the £21k threshold?
To a large degree, this is true. However, the Postgraduate Loan is usually paid in instalments and their release is dependent upon attendance each term. So on occasion, where an instalment is paid (assuming attendance), but later the funding body learn of an earlier interruption, an overpayment notice may be sent out to cover the instalment paid in error.

You can help avoid this by contacting your funding body as early as possible, to update them on your change of registration.

I have spent all the money. What should I do if they ask for money back?
Once you have received the overpayment notice, your options will be explained. You can usually either:
  • Pay back the full amount immediately
  • Have future funding reduced to help cancel out the overpayment.

I have been awarded a scholarship/bursary. What happens with that funding upon my interruption?
If you have been awarded a scholarship or bursary, it is important to check whether there are implications when taking a break or leaving early. If you have been given written terms and conditions governing the payment, then refer to those for guidance.

If you are a postgraduate research (PGR) student, you can also speak to the Centre of Doctoral Studies if you have any further queries about how the funding is disbursed.