Welcome to King's takes place each year for all new students beginning their studies in January. This year Welcome to King's will take on a new virtual presence, which offers a range of events and induction activities for all our students across the globe.
At King's, we want to ensure our students have the opportunity to participate in as many events as possible, therefore, Welcome to King's 2021 will take place over one week from Monday 11 to Thursday 14 January 2021.
This article will give you an overview of what you can expect at our virtual Welcome to King's.
Welcome to King’s App
Our Welcome to King’s App is your main tool for finding out what’s going on during the virtual Welcome to King's You can use the app to discover:
- Essential information about joining Kings
- Our full range of services that can support you during your studies
- More information about your faculty inductions
- Virtual tours of our campuses and explore our events schedule, where you can choose from a range of workshops, sessions and activities.
How can I download the Welcome to King’s App?
- You'll need to download the Welcome to King’s app from the App store (you can download onto iOS and Android.)
- Once you have downloaded the app, to access the Welcome to King’s Guide for this year, you’ll need to enter our passphrase Reggie2021 (no spaces).
- When you click on the app, go to 'Explore' or ‘Find Guides’ and use the passphrase provided in your email. If you are unable to download the app, you can view the desktop version.
- When you've downloaded the app, you will need to create an account; we advise that you use your King's email address to create an account.
- Once you've set up your account, allow 'push notifications' on your device, so you can receive important messages throughout Welcome.
- You can also find the Welcome to King’s app and Welcome to King’s Guide directly on our webpages.
- You’ll be able to book onto Welcome events from Monday 4 January 2021
- You can also use your personal email address to create an account if you wish to do so.
- Keep checking the app over the next couple of weeks, as we will be adding a range of online events for you to take part in.
- You can refresh the app to make sure you are viewing the latest information by clicking on the refresh button in the top right hand corner of the navigation menu
I don't have access to a smart phone or tablet
If you don’t have access to a smart phone or tablet, you can view the desktop version.
Important to know:
- As the desktop is a read only version of the app, you'll need to contact a Student Ambassador via our Unibuddy platform who can book sessions on your behalf.
- You can only book onto sessions and drop-ins via the app on a mobile phone or tablet, and will not be able to book sessions using your desktop.
- We recommend that you access the app via a desktop when joining events, workshops or drop-in sessions that will be run using Microsoft Teams.
Having issues downloading the app?
- If you are unable to download the app via the Google Play store or with an Android phone who are unable to download the app, you'll need to download this from a file (.apk file)
- Once you click on the .apk file link this will then start the process of downloading the app
- When you click on the app, select 'Welcome to King’s' under the heading 'Discover.'
Important to Know: If you use the link above to download the file or have any restrictions to Google Products on your Android phone, you will not be able to use the push notifications feature.
Engaging with us through Microsoft Teams (MS Teams)
As we prepare for Semester 1 the majority of events, inductions and workshops will be hosted on Microsoft Teams (MS Teams). As such, we’ve provided some useful information below to help you navigate your way around the platform, in preparation for Welcome and your time at King's.
We recommend that you download the MS Teams desktop or mobile app on to your device(s) using your King’s IT credentials. If you don't yet have an IT account, take a look at our article How do I get a King’s IT account and email address?
Using Microsoft Teams to get involved in Welcome to King's virtually
To participate in Welcome to King’s activities, you'll be able to access MS Teams meetings via a URL link which will be either provided directly to you by the host of the event or will be included within the description of the event on the Welcome to King’s App. The Virtual Welcome Hub, drop-ins will open daily with the URL links within the event description.
Important to know: You can book onto events from Monday 4 January 2021.
Once you click on the link you will have the option to open the meeting within your web browser. If you've downloaded the app you will have the option to open the session within the app.
Important to know:
- Before you join the session, you'll have the option to turn on your camera and microphone. We ask that during workshops, activities or sessions if you are not speaking to put yourself on mute.
- In order to increase the bandwidth, please turn off your camera unless you are speaking or your session hosts asks you to turn your camera on.
- Many sessions will be recorded if you want to revisit or catch up on anything.
How can I access Microsoft Teams?
MS Teams can be accessed via the browser, or you can download the MS Teams app; both of which can be downloaded from the Microsoft webpages.
Important to know:
- If you are accessing MS Teams through a browser, please use Edge or Chrome whenever possible.
- For more information on how to use Microsoft Teams, including key information about equipment and WiFi access visit our MS Teams Student Guidance webpages.
What is Unibuddy?
Unibuddy is our online platform, which provides students with a support line during and after Welcome. Unibuddy will run from Monday 4 January - Friday 22 January 2021.
You can use Unibuddy to:
- Connect with our Student Ambassadors, who can help you with a wide range of topics, including life at King's as a student
- Learn more about our King's community
- Book Welcome sessions with the help of a Student Ambassador, if you're not able to do so.
Unibuddy will also feature a list of Student Ambassador profiles with an option to click and chat to each ambassador.
How do I access Unibuddy?
You can access Unibuddy on our webpages.
How long will it take to get a response to my query on Unibuddy?
Our Student Ambassadors will aim to respond to your query within 24 hours.
Important to know: Unibuddy is accessible internationally, and our Student Ambassadors will work to accommodate multiple time zones to suit the needs of our international community.
What is Kaltura?
Kaltura is a video streaming platform where content can be streamed, shared and stored, from lectures, sessions, workshops, activities to events that run during Welcome to King's
Important to know: Welcome to King's sessions will be uploaded onto our Welcome to King’s channel on Kaltura, where you can revisit or explore any sessions that you missed during the Welcome period.
How do I use Kaltura?
Take a look at our article What is Kaltura for more information on using Kaltura for the first time.
What is KEATS?
KEATS (King’s E-Learning and Teaching Services) is a virtual platform which supports teaching and learning within King’s. This platform allows learning materials to be electronically uploaded and accessed by students, and includes interactive features such as assessments, discussions and assignments.
Each faculty has a specific space within KEATS where you can access information that is relevant to your course. Your faculty or department will give you more information about how to use KEATS in the following weeks.
How can I access KEATS?
KEATS is accessible through Single Sign-On.
Important to know: For more guidance on how to use KEATS, please take a look at the KEATS guidance for Students.