The UK Home Office introduced a new immigration system which came into effect from 5 October 2020 for international students (non-EU/EEA/Swiss) and 1 January 2021 for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals (excluding Irish nationals). The new “Student Visa” route replaced the “Tier 4 (General)” visa route. 
In this article:
If I'm already on a Tier 4 visa, do I need to switch into the new Student Route? 
If you are already in the UK studying with a valid Tier 4 visa, you will not need to take any action to switch into the new Student Visa route. 

How do I apply for the Student Visa?
Our Student Visa Interactive guide provides you with a quick overview of the process for applying for a Student visa, and includes more information on the documents you'll need to provide during an application. This guide is for students applying both in and outside the UK.

Important to know: If you need further advice when submitting a Student Visa application, please contact the Advice & Guidance team.

If you are an EEA/EU/Swiss National
Students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland (excluding Ireland) arriving in the UK after 1 January will need to apply under the new Student Visa route prior to travelling to the UK. 

Important to know: EU/EEA/Swiss nationals already in the UK or planning to arrive in the UK by 31 December 2020 are eligible to apply for the EU settlement scheme which will protect your status in the UK for up to 5 years.


Graduate 'Skilled Worker' Route
The UK Government have announced a new Graduate Immigration Route which will be open for applications from 1 July 2021. The graduate route will give students the opportunity to work in the UK for up to 2 years after they have completed their studies.  Read our Graduate Route article for further information.