In this article: 

What happens when someone in the King’s community tests positive for COVID-19?
When the university receives a notification of a suspected or confirmed case, we follow detailed processes and procedures, including identifying close and proximity contacts, notifying relevant students and staff, and cleaning of affected areas where appropriate.

Throughout the pandemic, we have been working with Public Health England, NHS Test and Trace and local health protection teams to robustly plan for a number of different scenarios and ensure that systems and procedures are in place to manage suspected and confirmed cases. Information about the precautions we are taking to manage the virus and our response to positive Coronavirus cases is available on our website.

Important to know:
  • If you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 at King’s and need to self-isolate, you will be notified by the university, KCLSU, King’s residences or NHS Test and Trace.
  • If you are asked to self-isolate because you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, you should read the government guidance for contacts.
Delivering outstanding education to all of our students is a priority and our blended teaching approach allows us to adapt based on changes at short notice and in response to infections in our community and changes in line with local or UK Government guidance.

How do I let the university know that I am self-isolating either because I think I have COVID-19 or because I have had a positive test?
  • Complete the King’s self-isolation form as a first notification.
  • Please let your department or personal tutor know if your symptoms are impacting your ability to study.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19, read our guidance below.  

I have not been contacted and asked to self-isolate; do I need to do anything?
If you have not been contacted by the university, King’s residences, KCLSU or NHS Test and Trace and asked to self-isolate, you do not need to take any additional actions unless you experience any COVID-19 symptoms.

We ask that you continue to be vigilant on COVID-19 symptoms and to follow government advice and university guidance on health and safety measures. This includes the need to book a COVID-19 test at the onset of symptoms (high temperature, a new continuous cough and/or a loss or change in sense of smell or taste) and to stay at home if you, anyone in your household or close contacts has symptoms of COVID-19 or has tested positive.

How will King's support me if I'm asked to self-isolate? 
The health, mental health and wellbeing of our students is our priority. We know how difficult it is for those of you who need to self-isolate because of positive cases.
If you need to self-isolate for any reason, we will stay in touch with you to check in on your welfare and offer practical and emotional support, including how to access our mental health and wellbeing services. You can find out how to access Student Support & Wellbeing remotely in this article.

You will also be able to remain engaged with your studies remotely if you feel able to do so and your faculty and personal tutor will be available to support with any concerns that you have.

Additionally, we encourage you to take part in virtual ResiLife sessions or join the online BeActive activity programme so that you continue to have regular interactions with other students.

For those students self-isolating within our residences, our residences team and welfare leads will provide support on site, bringing any grocery or food deliveries or parcels that you have organised to your door and checking in regularly with you.

Additional advice for students needing to self-isolate

You will need to arrange for essential items to be delivered to you. There are many options for deliveries in London, including:

Ordering groceries and toiletries

Ordering medication 
You should register with a Doctor online, who will then be able to provide you with a prescription electronically. You can then use popular chemists such as SuperdrugLloyds Pharmacy or Boots to order your medication to be delivered to you.

What should I do if you have symptoms of COVID-19?
  • If you experience symptoms, you must self-isolate and do not come onto campus.
  • Request a test immediately through the NHS.
  • Complete the King’s self-isolation form as a first notification.
  • If you’re living in a King’s Residence, please also inform your residence staff so they can support you while you’re self-isolating.
  • Stay at home until you have completed the self-isolation period and feel fully recovered.

What should I do if I test positive for COVID-19?
  1. Provide a full list of close contacts to the NHS Test and Trace team as requested.
  2. Complete the King’s self-isolation form. If you have already reported that you have symptoms as a first notification and/or if your test was precautionary and you do not have symptoms, please complete this as an ‘update [to] your circumstances’.
  3. Use the self-isolation form to provide information about if and where you have attended campus in the two days prior to experiencing symptoms.
  4. Inform your department office / personal tutor and residence manager (if applicable) that the COVID-19 test has come back positive. Contact details for each of the faculties can be found below: