In this article:
- What documents do I need to provide during my application?
- How do I send a copy of my certificates/ transcripts?
- Providing a reference
During your application, you will be required to submit the following:
- Two academic references
- Official transcripts of your previous and current qualifications (detailing course, modules, subject grades and final overall grade, if completed).
- Copies of your final degree certificate if you have been awarded the qualification
Some courses also require you to submit a personal statement or writing sample. Please check our online prospectus for the requirement(s) for your chosen programme of study.
Important to know:
- Research students must submit a detailed research proposal
- We are usually unable to consider applications until we have received all of the necessary documents.
- Please visit our Study at King's postgraduate webpages for further guidance on the documents you'll need to provide during your application.
Due to the current situation, I'm having difficulties providing the documents needed
If you are having difficulties, we advise that you review the latest guidance for applicants providing documents during an application on our coronavirus webpages in the first instance.
If you are an international applicant:
You will need to submit English Language test results before you begin your studies. Please visit our English Language entry requirements for postgraduate applicants webpage for detailed guidance on the certification you will need to provide.
Important to know:
- If any document you provide is not in English, please also provide scans of an official English translation.
- An official translation must either be stamped or validated by an apostille.
How do I send a copy of my certificates/ transcripts?
You can scan your original documents and attach these files to your application on King’s Apply during your application.
I need to send additional documentation
If your application has been submitted and is under consideration, you should not send any additional documentation.
The Admissions Office will contact you through King’s Apply if they need further documents to assess your application. You will then be permitted to send additional documentation through King's Apply.
Important to know: Please do not send documents directly to academic departments as applications are processed centrally.
- They are familiar with your academic work and abilities
- They can comment on your suitability for your chosen programme, and if applicable, a prediction of your grades or classification at the end of your current course.
Important to know: We advise that your referee is from the institution at which you have recently studied at/or are currently studying, whenever possible.
If you are returning to study
If you have taken a break from studies, you may be able to use a reference from your place of employment. If you’re unsure of this, you can get in touch with us, by logging a case.
If you feel you are unable to provide a second academic reference due to the time since your last period of study, you can initially provide a relevant professional reference instead.
Important to know:
- The Admissions Office staff may contact you at a later stage, if additional references are required. Please check the King’s Apply portal frequently to ensure you don’t miss any correspondence.
- Remember to discuss your application with your referee beforehand and ask them for their permission before you use them as a reference.
How do I send in my reference?
When sending in your references, you'll need to use the Reference tab on King's apply
Using the References portal:
You can provide the contact details of your referees in the 'References tab' on King's Apply.
Important to know: All references must be sent from an official work email address, as we cannot accept personal email addresses such as hotmail/gmail/yahoo etc
What happens once I’ve submitted my reference?
- The Admissions Office will contact your referee directly by email after you have submitted your application.
- Your referee will then be asked to log into to the King’s Apply 'Referee Portal' to submit their reference securely.
Important to know: You’ll be notified by email to confirm when your referee has submitted their reference.
Scanning a hard copy letter
If you already have a copy of a formal signed reference on letterhead paper, you can attach an electronic scanned copy when making an application.
Important to know: In both instances above, we may ask for an original paper copy of any reference at a later date, if necessary.