This article provides an overview of the things you’ll need to consider as you prepare to travel overseas in 2021.

In this article:


What reasons can I legally travel overseas for?
Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you can only travel overseas if you have a legally permitted reason to do so. You can review the full list of permitted reasons you can travel internationally on the webpages. Please ensure that you frequently review this webpage, as government guidance may be subject to change at short notice. 
Spring break 2021
The Department for Education has confirmed that students already at their term-time address will be able to travel to their non-term address for the Spring break (1 April to 25 April at King’s) if they choose to do so and as long as international travel restrictions allow. The government strongly advises, however, that students should remain in their term-time address wherever possible in order to reduce the virus transmission risks of travel.


Before you leave the UK

What documents will I need?
From 8 March 2021, you will need to complete a travel declaration form for international travel to declare your legally permitted reason to travel at this time. For more guidance on filling out the travel declaration form, please visit the webpages.

Important to know: If you are travelling out of Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, please visit the webpages for further guidance.

Alongside your travel declaration form, you will need to provide proof that you are a member of an academic institution.

How can I prove I’m a student at King’s?
You can download a Confirmation of study letter, which will confirm your personal and course details.  If you require your letter to include additional information, you can request for a 'Non standard Confirmation of Study letter'. 
If you need to apply for a visa
If you need to apply for a visa, you should also request for a travel letter, which you’ll be able to give to an embassy in support of your visa application.   

Booking your coronavirus test
Before booking your flight, you should frequently check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) government travel advice for the latest information on coronavirus entry requirements and travel warnings for the country you are travelling to.

If your destination requires you to provide proof of a negative coronavirus test to be permitted to entry the country, you must use a private test provider.

You can find an approved supplier on the webpages.

Important to know:

  • The NHS Test and Trace testing service or the King's lateral antigen flow test is not suitable for overseas travel.  Please consult with airlines and national restrictions in your destination country regarding required tests and certifications before boarding your flight. 
  • Before obtaining proof of a negative coronavirus test from a private medical provider, you should check that your provider meets the minimum standards for private providers of COVID-19 testing (Testing to Release for International Travel) on 


Studying remotely
Before you leave the UK, you should check that you will be able study remotely and ensure that you’ll be able to engage with your studies overseas.
Our articles Remote study during 2020-21 & Semester 2: Courses that are not eligible for remote study offer further support on studying remotely during Semester 2.

Other articles you may find useful:

Visa and Immigration support 
What visa/immigration support can I access while at King’s
Our article International student advice and support summarises the various support options accessible to our international student community throughout the 2020-21 academic year.

The UK Council for International Students (UKCISA) have put together a comprehensive guide for international students living and studying in the UK during this time and covers further guidance on leaving the UK during the pandemic.
Returning back to the UK
Please read our article I need to travel to the UK for guidance on returning to the UK.