The main form of funding available to disabled students is the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). This is a grant available to pay for the additional costs of studying that cannot be met through reasonable adjustments provided by the university. More information on the DSA can be found on the government's webpages.

DSA can be used to help pay for specialist equipment and software as well as non-medical helpers such as one-to-one study skills support tutors, specialist mentors or sign language interpreters. A general allowance for printing costs and travel costs may also be offered. The DSA provided will depend on your specific needs.

If you are funded by the NHS, you first need to apply for a student bursary, via your BOSS (Bursary Online Support System) account. Once you have done so, you can apply for DSA online, also via BOSS. For more information, visit the NHS Bursary webpages.

Important to know: DSA will not cover living costs, care costs or tuition fees, so it is worth exploring other opportunities for financial support.

DSAs are provided for UK students, but there might be other similar schemes for students from other countries. The King’s Disability Support service also has a fund to provide additional support to students unable to access Disabled Students Allowance funding.