Under the Equality Act 2010, a person has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment, and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Substantial means the impact is more than a minor one, and long-term means your condition or disability has lasted or is likely to last 12 months or more.

In general, this covers anyone with a mobility or sensory impairment, long term medical conditions including HIV and cancer, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Mental Health Conditions, eating disorders and Specific Learning Difficulties such as dyslexia, where it has an impact on someone’s ability to study or on any other aspect of university life.

Not everyone with a long-term medical condition or disability will need or want support and individuals with the same disability may have different support needs.
Each person is different and factors that impact on a person’s ability to manage their disability include:
  • When they were diagnosed
  • What support they have had around them
  • Their different personal strengths
  • Their ability to manage in different situations.
Registering for Disability Support 
If you wish to register for Disability Support at King's you'll need to provide written medical evidence to a disability adviser:
  • If you have a specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia)

You will need to have a full diagnostic assessment carried out by an Educational Psychologist or PATOSS approved Specialist Teacher.

  • For other impairments or health conditions

We would need a recent letter or report from a qualified health professional.


Important to know: For more information on the evidence you'll need to provide when registering for Disability Support and the support available, read our article(s) How do I register with Disability Support for the first time? & How can Disability Support assist me with my disability?