In total the university has 639 cycling parking spaces on its premises. Some are open to the public and some are more secure with only King’s staff and students having access.
This article gives you locations of bike storage facilities; if you get stuck or need more information, including details such as how to gain access, you can approach the local Security desk for help.
Strand Building & King's Building
Extensive parking spaces are available in the secure bike facility on Strand Lane, which you can access from both Temple Place and Surrey Street; our map shows where.
The facilities include secure card access, fixed Sheffield type bicycle racks and shelters with CCTV monitoring.
There are also 2 secure bike facilities in Bush House:
- Central Bush House central building - North/South Wing bike store has 85 bike racks.
- Bush House North East Wing bike store has 60 bike racks.
- There is a secure bike shed behind the Maughan Library (down the alley opposite the Knights Templar pub).
- A small number of racks just on the right as you go through the main entrance.
- It has a total of 67 bike racks
How can I access these storage facilities?
The secure cycling facilities are for King’s students and staff only and access can be obtained by completing the Bicycle Registration Form, or getting your bike storage access granted at a King's security desk.
Non-King's students or staff are advised to use the public bike racks opposite the main entrance to the Strand Campus.
Guy's Campus has 2 separate secure bike facilities:
- The bike park outside the Hodgkin Building has space for more than 70 bicycles in the Quadrangle.
- The newly built bike cage adjacent to Newcomen Street and accessed via Nag’s Head Yard has a two-tier bike rack and has 70 parking spaces.
Access to the above facilities requires a King’s card. Please speak to Security in the Hodgkin building to obtain access.
Important to know:
- Please be mindful of any tailgaters when entering or exiting the facilities.
- No bike parking will be permitted anywhere other than the bike parks and, following a period of grace, bikes parked elsewhere will be removed.
Unfortunately, there is currently no secure bike storage available for students at Waterloo.
However, there are 25 publicly accessible bike racks available directly outside the main entrance to the Franklin-Wilkins Building (FWB).
An additional 20 are available directly outside the James Clerk Maxwell Building (JCMB).
Stamford Street Appartments: King's members of staff and residents of the Stamford Street Appartments (SSA) can gain access to the secure bike storage within SSA. This currently has space for over 40 bikes. Please speak to Security in the SSA reception to obtain access.
Denmark Hill Campus
Denmark Hill, East (Maudsley/IoPPN side)
- More than 50 parking spaces are available in the main car park by the David Goldberg Centre.
- Please speak to Security in the IoPPN main building to obtain access.
- More bike racks are available on Memory Lane by the MRC SDGP and by the Addiction Sciences Building.
Our map of Denmark Hill East shows where cycle parking facilities can be found.
Denmark Hill, West (King's College Hospital side)
More than 120 parking spaces are available in 2 separate secure bike facilities:
- The bike park outside the Weston Education Centre (WEC) has 60 parking spaces.
- The key to these bike racks can be obtained from the security desk in the Weston Education Centre.
- The bike park behind the James Black Centre/Rayne Institute has 60 parking spaces.
- The key can be obtained from the security desk in the Rayne Institute.
Our map of Denmark Hill West shows where cycle parking facilities can be found.
Brockley Rise Sports ground: There are more than 50 parking spaces available.
The Griffin and New Malden Sports Grounds; unfortunately, these premises don’t currently have bike racks.
How can I secure my bike on campus?
Please be mindful when securing your bike on campus and remember to:
- Mark it: Visit www.bikeregister.com to get your bike security marked and registered.
- Record it: Upload details of your bike including the frame number, Bike Register number, other distinguishing features and a photo to www.bikeregister.com.
- Lock it: Use 2 different types of locks of gold ‘Sold Secure’ standard, with at least one being a high quality D-lock.
- Secure it: Make the locks on the bike hard to manoeuvre by securing your bike as close to the stand as possible. Always use secure cycle parking that is well lit and covered by CCTV.
- Remove it: Easily removed parts like saddles and wheels should be taken with you. If your bike has been stolen, contact the police and your campus security team. Give them your frame number, Bike Register number, photo and any other details and register your bike as stolen on www.bikeregister.com.
Where can I get my bike repaired on campus?
Maintaining a bicycle can be costly and time consuming. By providing bicycle workshop space and facilities, we want to encourage cyclists at King’s to share their knowledge and time, while King's provides the tools. Knowing the basics of bicycle maintenance makes for a safer cycling experience.
Bicycle Repair Stations at King's campuses:
Denmark Hill Campus
- There is a bike repair station at Denmark Hill East, near the bike racks on Memory Lane by the SGDP building.
- There is a bike repair station inside and outside of the Hodgkin Building bike storage. There is also a bike repair station in the Nag's Head Yard bike storage.
For tips on cycling safely in London, check out TfL: Cycle safety.