When can I book my ceremony tickets?
Booking opens mid-late November for the Winter graduation ceremonies and for Summer ceremonies booking usually opens during April.
For details on ceremony dates, please refer to our article When will my graduation ceremony take place?
Invitation to book
Eligible students will receive an email from the Ceremonies & Events Team inviting you to book in your place through Student Records. This email will be sent to both your King’s email and to any secondary email address that we hold for you.
Places for ceremonies are allocated as bookings are made, so in order to avoid any disappointment we advise booking your place as soon as possible. On the rare occasion your ceremony becomes full prior to the closing date then an alternative ceremony date will be offered to you.
Once booking has opened, if you believe that you are eligible to attend and have not received an email invitation please check your Student Records to see if the Graduation tab has been made available to you.
If you cannot see the Graduation tab, are unable to access Student Records, or have any other issues with your booking, please use our bespoke Ceremonies & Events contact form to let us know.
Important to know: It is your responsibility to contact the Ceremonies & Events team if you have not received your graduation invitation email.
- If you expect to attend a ceremony in July you should have received an invitation by early May.
- If you’re expecting to attend a ceremony in January, you should have received an invitation by mid-November.
Your name on record
When booking your place please check that your full name, along with your course title, are correctly recorded.
Important to know: This is how your name will appear as stated in the graduation programme and on your certificate.
We advise ensuring that your full name is on record and that it will appear as such on your university documents, so that this matches any official documentation you have, such as your passport. This will help prevent potential discrepancies in the future between your qualifications and personal information when applying for things like employment or visas in later life.
If your name on record needs to be amended, please send a scan of official documentation (ideally a passport) showing your name in full to your Record Centre as soon as possible.
Records Centres can be contacted as follows:
Your ticket as the graduating student is free of charge and not counted as a guest ticket. Your guest tickets are those that you have purchased and you don’t need to allocate one to yourself.
Important to know:
- Student places are free of charge, but you are still required to book your place via Student Records to confirm your attendance.
- Students and their guests are strongly advised to book their place prior to committing to travel and/or accommodation plans because we cannot be held liable for any travel or accommodation booked.
Terms & conditions: When booking tickets please make sure you have familiarised yourself with our Ceremonies Data protection and T&Cs.
I would like my name read out a particular way in my ceremony. What do I do?
If you have a request regarding the way in which your name is pronounced you will be able to advise our team of this during the online booking process. Or, if you would prefer that your name is read in a certain way, for example, not including your middle name, please contact us through our Ceremonies & Events contact form.
How can I book guest tickets?
Guest tickets can be purchased via Student Records in the Graduation tab, when you confirm your student place at graduation.
Key things to know about booking:
- Guest ticket prices are currently £27 (incl.VAT) for adults, and children under 12 free of charge (proof of age required).
- Children under 3 who can sit on a guest's lap do not require their own ticket.
- Children are welcome when accompanied by and seated with adults.
- Please bear in mind when wishing to bring babies and young children that ceremonies normally last approximately one and a half hours.
- Children aged 3 years and over need their own seat and tickets and this will be checked on entrance to the hall. This means you will need to be sure to book them a ticket, even though this will be free. You will see the child ticket option when booking, and you shouldn’t be charged.
Initial booking period
At all Graduation venues, you will be able to purchase up to 2 guest tickets, subject to availability, until the booking deadline.
Important to know:
- Please do not use the 'special requirements' section of the online booking form to request extra tickets because this is for details of students and guests with particular access requirements only. Requests for extra tickets in this section will not be considered.
- If additional guest tickets are available after the initial booking period then students will be contacted with the relevant details and booking will reopen via Student Records.
I’m having difficulties processing my booking; what do I do?
If you are unable to process a payment or find you have technical issues when redirected to the payment provider screens, please wait until 1pm the next day (UK time).
Our IT team will identify your issues automatically and be able to reset your booking and you should find this resolves the situation. If you are still unable to process a payment after this time, please contact us through the Ceremonies & Events contact form and we will be able to help.
How can I notify of any special requirements for myself or my guests?
Please let us know when you book your place for your ceremony of any special requirements that you or your guests might have so that we can make appropriate arrangements for you.
Important to know:
- The special requirements section of the booking form is not for requesting extra tickets.
- If for any reason you did not provide details of special requirements when you made your booking, it is essential that you do so as soon as possible. This can be done by re-entering the booking system up until the booking deadline.
If you need to notify us of a special need for yourself or your guest after the booking deadline, please let us know through our bespoke Ceremonies & Events contact form
If you would like to find out more about the accessibility arrangements for your ceremony’s venue, please take a look at the relevant article article for your venue:
How will I receive my tickets?
Your student ticket will be available for collection on the day of your ceremony, approximately 2 hours before your ceremony starts, for which you will need photo ID.
For more information on what happens on the day of your ceremony and what you should bring, please the relevant article for your venue:
How you will receive your guest tickets depends on your venue:
Royal Festival Hall: Your guest tickets will be sent to you as e-tickets via the email you submitted when you booked your tickets online.
Important to know: In some instances, your KCL email may expire between booking the guest tickets and the date of your ceremony. With this in mind, we ask that you use a personal email address that you will check regularly to ensure that you receive your guest tickets.
Southwark Cathedral: Guest tickets will be collected on the day at the same time as your student ticket.
How can I check the details of my booking?
Confirmation of your booking will be shown on your Student Records account in the Graduation tab, and will also be emailed to you upon the successful completion of your booking, at the email address you provide for contact regarding graduation ceremonies.
Please make sure that any filters on your email account are set so that emails from us will not be rejected.
If you have not received a confirmation email from the Ceremonies & Events Team within in an hour of completing your booking, please let us know to check if your booking has gone through.
Important to know: We advise that you check any junk/spam folders in your email account before contacting us, in case any emails from us have landed there.
You will have the opportunity to amend your booking through the Graduation tab in Student Records until the booking deadline, including adding special requirement, request a visa assistance letter or defer your place. Once booking has closed you will still be able to view your booking details.
If you need to amend your details after booking closes, please contact us by submitting an online form and quoting your student ID number.
Will I be able to book more guest tickets later?
We may be able to offer additional guest tickets if the venue has capacity, but we won’t be able to confirm this until later in the booking period.
Our priority is to ensure that all graduates have the opportunity to attend an in-person ceremony, which is why guest tickets are capped at two per graduate in the first instance.
Important to know: We won’t be able to consider requests for additional tickets whilst the limit remains at 2 tickets per graduate.
We’ll be able to provide more information during the booking period.
How are seats allocated for guests?
Seat allocation at Royal Festival Hall
If you have notified us in advance of any special requirements that your guests have, then your seats will have been assigned with these requirements in mind.
All other guest seats are allocated randomly. It is not possible to change your guest seat allocations.
Important to know: Please don’t use the special requirements section of the online booking form to request particular seats; this is for details of students and guests with particular access requirements only. Requests for particular seats in this section will not be considered.
Seat allocation at Southwark Cathedral
Seats are not allocated. Space at the Cathedral is extremely limited, so we ask guests to please be mindful of other guests and not leave gaps between groups.
How can I cancel guest tickets?