While you are a student and especially if you have moved away from home, it is a good idea to be registered with a nearby GP practice. General Practitioners (GPs) deal with a range of health problems and are an access point for NHS services and non-emergency treatment.

King’s students and staff can register with the King’s College NHS Health Centre (located on floor 3 of the Bush House South East Wing, Strand Campus), which is an NHS GP practice. You can register online via the practice website, or find a different practice using the NHS website's GP finder.

Dentists work independently from GPs. You can find a dentist using the NHS website’s dentist finder. You’ll need to complete a form to register similar to the process for your GP.

Important to know:

  • Under current rules, anyone can register with a GP practice in England and receive free primary care.
  • Not all NHS treatment is free and you will likely need to pay a nominal charge when visiting a dentist or obtaining prescribed medication.
  • If you are an international student, for the first six months of your time in the UK there might be a charge for use of non-emergency secondary care, such as hospitals and specialists. You can learn more about this on the UKCISA website.
  • There are no NHS exemptions or discounts for students, but there are criteria that exempt certain people from charges. Check the NHS website for more information.