Prior to starting at King’s, we advise that you have:

  • The Meningitis ACWY Vaccine, which can prevent meningitis and septicaemia
  • 2 doses of the MMR vaccine, which can protect you from mumps and measles

What is the meningitis ACWY (MenACWY) vaccine?
The MenACWY vaccine protects against 4 strains of the meningococcal bacteria – A, C, W and Y – which cause meningitis and blood poisoning (septicaemia),and is given by a single injection into the upper arm. The medical name for the MenACWY vaccine is Nimenrix.

You can ask your GP for the MenACWY vaccine up until your 25th birthday. If you’re not sure if you’re eligible for the vaccine, you can use the meningitis eligibility checker to find out.

Important to know: You can find our more about the meningitis ACWY vaccine on the NHS webpages

What is the MMR vaccine?
The MMR vaccine protects against measles, mumps and rubella, which easily spread between unvaccinated people.  The vaccine is given as 2 doses of a single injection into the muscle of the thigh or upper arm. If you’ve yet to have 2 doses of the MMR vaccine, you should book an appointment with your GP and ask for a vaccination appointment.

You should check if you’ve had both doses of the MMR vaccine when/if :
  • You’re about to start University
  • You're about to travel abroad
  • Your born between 1970 and 1979, as you may have only been vaccinated against measles
  • Your born between 1980- 1990, as you may not be protected against mumps.

Important to know:
  • You can find out more about the MMR vaccines on the NHS webpages.
  • You'll need to have 2 doses of the MMR vaccine to ensure full protection.

International students:
If you are moving to the UK for the first time and have had either, or both vaccinations in your home country, make sure you bring a record of this with you so it can be added to your medical notes, once you’ve register with a doctor in the UK .

How do I register with a GP? 
Our article How do I register with a GP gives you an overview of how to register with a GP for the first time. If you’re an EU/EEA student, take a look at our article I’m a European student, am I automatically covered for health insurance in the UK?


Comments (0)