This article is for students in the Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care.

If you have an accident/incident and injure yourself in some way while on placement, please refer to the guidance on Reporting incidents/accidents on placement, such as disease or injury.


Can I sign for controlled drugs when on placement?



Can I take bloods when on placement, if I have been previously trained in phlebotomy/cannulation?



Can I administer intravenous (IV) drugs when on placement?



Can I manage naso-gastric feeds when on placement?



Can I catheterise male or female patients when on placement?



Can I transfer patients to other wards/theatres and give handover by myself when on placement?



When I’ve completed the relevant tasks on placement, can nurses or midwives that are not my supervisor or assessor sign off skills?


Reporting incidents/accidents on placement, such as disease or injury

If you have ever had an accident when on placement, such as a needle stick injury, a splash incident or fall, you must

  1. Report it in your placement area 
  2. Complete the accident reporting form

If you have suffered a body fluid exposure incident, please make an appointment with Occupational Health immediately.

If you have been involved in an incident but have not sustained an injury, this is known as a ‘near miss’ and you are still required to complete an accident report form.

If you need advice or require any support please do not hesitate to contact any member of staff, for example your Personal Tutor, Programme Leader, Link Lecturer or the administrative team within the Nightingale Student Hub.



If you have contracted a disease 




If you had a needle stick injury