You become liable for Council Tax from the day after your official course end date; this is the date on your student record, and appears as your "expected end date" on university documentation and your student ID card.

So, for example, if you've graduated from King's during the 2023-24 academic year and your expected end date was 4 June 2024, you would become liable from 5 June 2024. 

Postgraduate taught (PGT) students with an official end date of 30 September 2024 will be liable for Council Tax on 1 October 2024. 

For further information about how your course dates and student status are worked out, please also refer to:



What if I’ve been given an extension?



Can I challenge a rejection for Council Tax Exemption?



Do I have to pay Council Tax in the gap between courses?


Comments (0)