The academic calendar captures the dates for semesters and other key dates across the academic year, which runs from September to August. These dates apply to all faculties and to the majority of undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate taught (PGT) programmes.
For further details related to more specific dates for your programme, please contact your faculty or department.
Please see our article When is the university closed? for details on closure days and public holidays.
Welcome to King's enrolment events: Monday 11 September – Friday 22 September 2023
Week one will mainly be online and week two will be on-campus. Faculties may hold welcome sessions for some programmes outside of this period. Please check with your faculty for further information.
- Semester 1
- Teaching: Monday 25 September – Friday 8 December 2023
- Teaching/Revision: Monday 11 December – Friday 15 December 2023
- Semester 2
- Teaching: Friday 12 January – Thursday 28 March 2024
- Teaching/Revision: Monday 22 April – Friday 26 April 2024
These dates are when the majority of UG and PGT students are expected to be at university.
If your programme has reading weeks, they will normally be:
- Monday 30 October – Friday 3 November 2023
- Monday 19 February – Friday 23 February 2024
- Period 1: Friday 5 January – Thursday 11 January 2024
- Period 2: Monday 29 April – Friday 31 May 2024
- Period 3: Monday 5 August – Friday 16 August 2024
These are the university’s established assessment periods during which most UG and PGT examinations will be held. However, not all students will have examinations during each period. Please check with your faculty for further information and refer to our article on the exam timetable.
Attendance & holidays
- Normal hours of operation are 08:00 – 18:00. These are the times in which you should expect teaching, learning and assessment activities to be timetabled.
- If you are a Postgraduate Taught (PGT) student, you are expected to work on your dissertation/project throughout the summer.
- If you are a Postgraduate Research student (PGR), you should agree vacations in writing with your supervisor.