What is an official complaint? 

The G31 Student Complaint Regulation defines a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction that warrants a response.  

However, it cannot provide an academic related outcome, such as a change in progression decision, and should therefore be distinguished from academic appeals. 

We are committed to considering and investigating genuine complaints from students, which we see as an invaluable source of feedback, and undertake that any student submitting a complaint will not be treated less favourably in their university life or subsequent academic career. 

Important to know:

  • Any complaints which are deemed to be frivolous or vexatious may be terminated.  
  • The university does not accept anonymous complaints.

In this article:


Understanding the complaints process



Stage 1: Local informal resolution 



Stage 2: Formal Investigation



Stage 3: Appeal 



Making a complaint



I would like to make a complaint, what should I do?



I’m not happy with the outcome of my Stage 1 complaint, is there anything I can do? 



I’m not happy with the outcome of my Stage 2 complaint, is there anything I can do? 



I’m not happy with the final decision of the university, what can I do? 



 Making a complaint about impact of special circumstances



How can I make a complaint about industrial action?



What support is available?