I have an invoice query - who should I contact?



How do I obtain a copy invoice?



I need the university's bank details to make a direct transfer



How do I know if you have received my payment?



How do I obtain a receipt?



How do I request a fee refund?



How long should I wait to receive my refund?



Why have I been invoiced instead of my Sponsor / Student Loans Company (SFE) / NHS?



Where do I obtain a copy of my Award Letter / Financial Notification Letter?



I have not received my student maintenance payment, what should I do?



Can a friend or family member pay my student fees?



I need help with my TL11A Canadian Tax form



I have paid my Tuition Fee Deposit, but it is not reflecting on my Admissions portal, what should I do?



I am from China and wish to pay my fees by card, how do I proceed?


Quick Links


Credit Control Contact Details 
Email: Credit.Control@kcl.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7848 3279

For particularly sensitive matters, please feel free to book a 30 minute Microsoft Teams video meeting with one of our Credit Control agents to discuss a financial difficulty you may be experiencing.