We typically offer up to six sessions with a counsellor or Mental Health Advisor.

The Counselling and Mental Health Support Service offers different types of support depending on need, including:

  • Psychodynamic counselling
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
  • Mental Health Advice
  • Psychiatric support
  • Psychoeducational workshops
  • Individual or group support


Support available for long-term health conditions

We define a condition as long-term if it is lasting/has lasted a year or more. Students with long term health conditions that impact their studies might benefit from a King’s Inclusion Plan (KIP). The KIP is a document you create in conjunction with a King’s Disability Adviser. KIPs are designed to inform teaching staff that a student has a health condition and how it might affect study. The Disability Adviser will recommend reasonable adjustments to be included in the KIP. Once you are happy with the KIP it is sent to your academic team to implement the adjustments recommended to ensure you have a fair opportunity to participate in the course.

You don't have to consider yourself to be disabled to apply for a KIP. Email disability@kcl.ac.uk for more information, or to request an appointment to discuss a KIP and other support available.


Need counselling outside our usual working hours? We now offer an out-of-hours counselling service, as well as online support; find out more in our article Mental health support during evenings, weekends & vacation periods.