The university is open throughout the year Monday to Friday, including during term breaks. Some facilities, such as libraries, will also be open on weekends.
We are however, closed on official public holidays, known in the UK as ‘bank’ holidays, and has a few other closure days throughout the year. On these days, university buildings will be closed and no services will be running.
However, if you're looking for study spaces during a vacation period, please refer to our article Where can I study on campus? which has the latest details and arrangements.
Closure dates for 2022 (calendar year):
- University closure day: Friday 23 December
- Christmas Day: Tuesday 27 December (Substitute Day)
- Boxing Day: Monday 26 December
- University closure day: Wednesday 28 December
- University closure day: Thursday 29 December
- University closure day: Friday 30 December
Closure dates for 2023 (calendar year):
- New Year's Day: Monday 2 January (Substitute Day)
- Good Friday: Friday 7 April
- Easter Monday: Monday 10 April
- Early May Bank Holiday: Monday 1 May
- Bank Holiday for the coronation of King Charles III: Monday 8 May
- Spring Bank Holiday: Monday 29 May
- Summer Bank Holiday: Monday 28 August
- University closure day: Friday 22 December
- Christmas Day: Monday 25 December
- Boxing Day: Tuesday 26 December
- University closure day: Wednesday 27 December
- University closure day: Thursday 28 December
- University closure day: Friday 29 December
Important to know: These closure dates are separate to the academic year. These dates, including teaching dates and term breaks, can be found by visiting the Academic Calendar.