After finishing your studies at King’s, you will lose access to your KCL IT accounts and email address.

How long after graduation will my accounts be closed down?

  • If you completed and graduated from your course during the summer months – June, July (usually undergraduate students), we start the account closure from the 1 October of that calendar year.
  • If you completed and graduated from your course during the autumn months – September, October, we start the account closure from the 1 Feb of the following calendar year.
However, this process is only initiated if you have either accepted or declined a graduation ceremony invitation – if you have an award eligible for this.
  1. You’ll be notified on email 15 days after the closure process starts that your account is closing.
  2. Your account will then close a further 45 days after that.

Important to know: Your graduation ceremony marks the occasion, but you’re not considered a student up to your ceremony. For a more detailed explanation of your student status, please check our article Understanding student status: what does my status mean for me?


Will I receive any warning that my account and email will be closed?
Yes – the timings of when accounts get closed depends on when you graduated, but you will receive a warning in advance, to allow you time to re-direct any contacts. Please check How long after graduation will my accounts be closed down? for details.

Once the account is disabled, you will lose access to all parts of your KCL account, including student records and your email account.

Important to know: Once your account has been disabled, unfortunately it’s not possible to re-open or extend it.

My account is disabled/getting closed, but I am still studying
If you believe the closing down of your IT account is a mistake and you have not yet graduated, please contact your department and your Records Centre.

Records Centres can be contacted as follows:

  • If you’re within the Faculty for Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care, please sign in to get in touch and log an enquiry.
  • If you're in any other faculty, please get in touch with Student Records


I’ve graduated but my work still connects me to King’s
If you will be continuing to work with or with a significant connection with King's beyond your studies and require ongoing access, for details please refer to KCL Affiliate Accounts.


I've graduated but I now work for King’s as a member of staff
If you’ve become a member of King’s staff and need a staff IT account, please contact IT Service Desk. Your line manager should also help you to arrange this.


How will I stay in touch about graduation ceremonies?
While you still have access, you can update your student record with a personal email address. For more detail see How can I ensure I receive updates regarding future graduation ceremonies?


What if I need to get in touch about my certificate and transcript?
You can always get in touch about important documents you need as a graduate; you don’t need your KCL email address to contact us.

To find out more about your transcript and certificate, refer to:

Did you know your Gradintel account for your HEAR is linked to your KCL email address?
You’ll likely need your HEAR when you graduate and get awarded, and your Gradintel account is set up with your KCL email address. But you can reset this to a personal email address and it’s much easier to do this while you still have access to your KCL account. Find out more about accessing this in Accessing my Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) on Gradintel.
Comments (0)