- The academic calendar captures the dates for semesters and other key dates across the academic year, which runs from September to August.
- These dates apply to all faculties and to the majority of undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate taught (PGT) programmes.
- For further details related to more specific dates for your programme, please contact your faculty or department.
- Please see our article When is the university closed? for details on closure days and public holidays.
2022-23 Academic Calendar (September 2022 – August 2023)
Welcome to King's enrolment events: Monday 12 September – Friday 23 September 2022
Week one will mainly be online and week two will be on-campus. Faculties may hold welcome sessions for some programmes outside of this period. Please check with your faculty for further information.
- Semester 1
- Teaching: Monday 26 September – Friday 9 December 2022
- Teaching/Revision: Monday 12 December – Friday 16 December 2022
- Semester 2
- Teaching: Monday 16 January – Friday 31 March 2023
- Teaching/Revision: Monday 24 April – Friday 28 April 2023
These dates are when the majority of UG and PGT students are expected to be at university.
If your programme has reading weeks, they will normally be:
- Monday 31 October – Friday 4 November 2022
- Monday 20 February – Friday 24 February 2023
- Period 1: Monday 9 January – Friday 13 January 2023
- Period 2: Tuesday 2 May – Friday 2 June 2023
- Period 3: Monday 7 August – Friday 18 August 2023
These are the university’s established assessment periods during which most UG and PGT examinations will be held. However, not all students will have examinations during each period. Please check with your faculty for further information and refer to our article on the exam timetable.
Attendance & holidays
- Normal hours of operation are 08:00 – 18:00. These are the times in which you should expect teaching, learning and assessment activities to be timetabled.
- If you are a Postgraduate Taught (PGT) student, you are expected to work on your dissertation/project throughout the summer.
- If you are a Postgraduate Research student (PGR), you should agree vacations in writing with your supervisor.