If you have completed your studies and you need to get a letter to prove this along with your final award to someone – such as an employer, a funder, or another institution for further study, you can download this letter from your student record.
You don’t need to wait for your graduation ceremony to prove you’ve graduated. You can prove that you’ve completed your studies and been awarded as soon as your award has been confirmed.
Key things to know about your results:
- King’s is unable to provide confirmation of your results before your relevant Board of Examiners has met and the results have been ratified.
- King’s does not issue “provisional” or “unofficial” results. The only results you receive will be confirmed and ratified.
- Please avoid contacting the university or your department asking to be told your results over the telephone because data protection restrictions don’t allow staff to disclose your results in this way. Please rest assured that when your results are available, you will receive these over email.
I need a simple one-page document proving I’ve completed my studies
For a simple one-page document stating your course, your completion dates, and your award, please:
- Log in to Student Records.
- Check your personal details are correct and up-to-date.
- On your homepage, navigate to the box with the heading ‘My Award’
- In the list of items in this box, select ‘View Final Award’
- On this page, select your‘ Completion of Study Letter, which will be available on this page from the first day of the month after the official date of award.
- Follow the steps to generate the letter to your KCL email address.
Important to know: Your letter proving you’ve completed your studies will only be available to access once all your module results and award have been ratified and processed onto your student record. To find out when you can expect to get your exam results please refer to Your exam results.
This letter will contain:
- Personal information: full name, date of birth, student ID number
- Qualification & subject title
- Course start & end date
- Award date
- Degree classification
I need more detailed information on a document
If your Completion of Study Letter available on your student record doesn’t contain enough detail for your purposes, there are further documents that you can access yourself as soon as your results are released.
For the following purposes:
Final module results
To prove your final module results please access your Final Transcript, which is available for you to access yourself following ratification of all your results and award on the Gradintelligence platform.
Final module results, degree award & detailed overview of the course
To show all your results and achievements, with details of what you studied, please use your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR), which is available for you to access yourself following ratification of all your results and award on the Gradintelligence platform.
- For more information about your HEAR and what it contains, please refer to What is the Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR)?
- For guidance on accessing and using your Gradintelligence account, please refer to How can I access my Gradintelligence account?
Verifying the authenticity of your degree
If a third party requires verification that your degree and the documents you provide to them are authentic, please use the Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD) online verification service. This is an independent database which King’s subscribes to.
HEDD offers a centralised system for degree verification that connects employers, agencies, universities, embassies and councils.
For a small fee, agencies, organisations or any third party should use this database to verify the information provided on your documents is valid and accurate, and to check if a UK university or college is a recognised degree-awarding body.
This database is intended for third party use, rather than for students to check their own information; for this you have your student record and Gradintelligence.
For more details about this service, please refer to How can an employer or other agency verify a degree from King’s?
Final statement of your degree
Your downloadable Completion of Study Letter confirms all the same information as your Degree Certificate and is just a valid and authentic.
The main difference is that this letter is available on your student record to download yourself when you need it, but your Degree Certificate is only issued in hard copy and is sent to you by post.
- If a third party requests your Degree Certificate, your Completion of Study Letter acts as an excellent digital alternative.
- Your Degree Certificate will only be produced and posted within 3 months of your award date, which means you will need to wait for this.
For more details and timelines around when you can expect your Degree Certificate, please refer to Your Degree Certificate.
I need to prove my degree in another country
If you are going to work or study in another country, it’s likely you’ll be asked to provide details of your degree.
Different countries often have different measures for degrees and various other qualifications, so it’s possible you’ll need to provide information that makes your degree at King’s understandable to others overseas.
If you have an undergraduate or postgraduate taught degree (non-research), the best document to provide is your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR). This document has been designed to make your degree and its classification understandable overseas and includes ECTS credit equivalence.
If you need to accompany a document with marking criteria for a third party to understand your results, in addition to your HEAR you may find these resources useful when needing to get your degree validated overseas:
I’m looking for a GPA conversion for my results
If you’re a King’s graduate or a current student approaching the end of your studies, and you are applying to institutions overseas that require a GPA for your degree, you’ll need to use an external service provider to calculate this conversion – unfortunately King’s can’t provide this for you.
UK ENIC is one organisation that provides this service, as does WES, which focuses on the US and Canada. However, to be sure you are providing the right documentation and information, we advise checking with the institution are you applying to about conversion resources, since they may have particular organisations they use to verify conversions or equivalences.
I’ve finished my studies but I’m still awaiting my results
Most undergraduate courses finish in spring in May/June, and most postgraduate taught courses finish at the end of September.
It often takes time for results to be released after you have completed all your assessments, which means you can finish your course and still be awaiting results.
During this time, it’s likely you will need to prove completion of your course, but this can be difficult if your results haven’t yet been finalised.
For more information on what we can provide you with while you wait, please refer to I need to prove I’ve finished my course and am awaiting results.